Why Should You Hire A Licensed Plumber?

Tim´s Plumbing Company is licensed by the State of Wisconsin, we are also Bonded and Insured. We specialize in residential plumbing service, which includes faucet & fixture repair / replacement, waterheater replacement, sewer & drain cleaning, etc...

Finding someone you can trust to work on your home and plumbing can be a daunting task. So whether you need a plumber, electrician, general contractor, or other home repair specialist, here are some definitions and tips to assist you.

State Law

A plumbing license is required to install plumbing in the state of Wisconsin, with a few exceptions. Below are the circumstances in which plumbing installation may be completed by the homeowner without a license.
  • The plumbing is located inside the building.
  • The project is in a single-family residence.
  • The home is your primary residence, not a cabin, summer home, rental property, business, etc. Primary residence is determined as the address where he or she claims permanent residency for voting and received state or federal tax mailings, etc.
  • You occupy the home, so this exemption does not apply to new construction. There are code requirements regarding plumbing fixtures that must be installed for a home to be occupied, including at least; one water closet, one wash basin, one kitchen sink and one bathtub or shower to meet basic requirements of sanitation and personal hygiene.
  • The Plumbing is in farm buildings, other than a new, one-family home, on property owned and occupied by the property owner except where a license may be required by local ordinance.
  • click here to view the Wisconsin State Law in full.
    If you need an Adobe Reader to access the PDF file, you can download a free copy, http://get.adobe.com/reader/

    Plumber's Licenses

    Journeyman Plumber License - A license issued after a plumber has successfully completed a training term of at least five years and successfully passes a journeyman's exam.
    Master Plumber License - A license issued to a Journeyman Plumber who has worked for a minimum of 3 years and who successfully completes the master plumber exam issued by the prevailing licensing authority in their jurisdiction. This license is required to do business as a plumbing contractor in the State of Wisconsin and allows the plumber to advertise to do work for the home or business owner.

    How to Find a Contractor

  • Hiring a contractor who's been recommended by someone you know is the best choice. Word of mouth from a happy customer is the best source. Ask your neighbors and friends about Tim's Plumbing Company!
  • Call your local Better Business Bureau and your local consumer affairs office to see if they have any information about any contractor you're considering.
  • Ask the contractor if the company is insured against claims covering workers' compensation, property damage, and personal liability in case of accidents (we are). Ask to see a copy of certificate of insurance or ask for the name of their insurance carrier to verify that the contractor has insurance.
  • Licensing and/or bonding is required by State Law, so ask to see a copy of the document to ensure that the contractor is properly licensed and/or bonded.
  • Permitting of Project:

    By State Law, any plumbing work associated with the waste system or water system in a commercial or residential building must have a Plumbing Permit filed with the local municipality and a Plumbing Inspector must inspect the aforementioned work. This includes (but is not limited to) Waterheaters, Toilets, Sinks, Garbage Disposals, etc.


    General Liability - This insurance covers property damage or bodily injury to non-employees of the contractor while performing his/her duties. The limits vary.
    Workers' Compensation - This is coverage protecting the owner from liability involving an injury to a workman on the jobsite. Some coverage excludes the company owner. If the owner is performing work on the jobsite, he/she should be required to show proof of coverage. Property owners can be held responsible for an injury to a contractor or contractor's employees while working on their property, if the contractor does not have worker's compensation insurance.


    Permit Bond - This is required by many municipalities. This bond guarantees payment of all permit fees and other regulatory fees accrued for a particular job up to the bond limit.

    For more information on Wisconsin's Plumbing Law, please visit this website: State of Wisconsin Safety and Buildings Plumbing Information Q&A